The Jewish Museum Corner of Tîrgu-Mureș
The old citizens of Tigru-Mureș surely remember the old Jewish culture center (former cinema Progresul). This building had been built in 1928 and has hosted several spiritual and cultural events. Lately the dilapidated construction has been sold to the Mureș County Council. The president of the council Mrs. Emőke Lokodi decided that the Puppet Theatre, directed by Mr. Gabriel Cadariu, is going to host here. It is important to mention that the initiators of this Puppet Theatre were three Jews: Antal Pál Herskovits, Herta Ligeti and Endre Révész.
The restorers, venerating the founders, have preserved the characteristics of the edifice, hence leaving this heritage to the Tîrgu-Mureș citizens. In sign of respect for the Jews, Mrs. Lokodi promised Mr. Alexandru Ausch already in 2010 that in this building is going to give place to a museum corner, a memorial for the Jews of our town.
On the 2nd of November, not only the modernized building has been inaugurated, but also a plaque, with the construction date and the initial functionality. The museum contains few personal memories, but the goal of the current leadership of our Jewish Community is to enlarge the collection as good as possible in order to engrave upon everyone's memory the history of Jews in this region.
P.S. Herewith we welcome every personal document about the Jews form Tîrgu-Mureș.
Dr. Dub Vasile (fragments form the Jewish Reality „Realitatea evreiască” Journal)